Here are some useful tips and steps you can take to ensure the safety of your family and your home:

Teaching your family about electrical safety is one of the most important things you can do. We often forget that electricity can harm us because we use it every day. To protect your family, you should introduce electric safety rules for when they handle electric goods.

You should not: store combustible materials near electricity, dry clothes on electric heaters, hang picture fames without knowing what is behind the wall or install downlighters on your own.

Check your fire alarms. are working. Of the 197 people who died last year in house fires, 70 per cent were not alerted by a fire alarm. A smoke alarm can save your life, but only if it works; so we encourage you to check yours.. 

Check your RCD protection by simply pressing the test button. You should be doing so every three months. as if it not working correctly it may as well not be there.

Don't overload your sockets - that includes extension leads. If you find you are regularly using extension leads, consider getting more sockets installed in your home. 

Check the current rating of an electrical adaptor before you plug appliances in - make sure that the total curernt used does not exceed the adaptor's rating.

Never put a higher-watt bulb in your lighting fixtures than is recommended by the manufacturer. This can burn up the fixture’s wiring, leading to a fire hazard.

Never cover up extension cords with furniture, or floor coverings etc. Extension cords are rated for use in free air. Avoid overloading extension cords. Just because there are six receptacles doesn’t mean you should plug something into every one. Extension cords are rated for a specific number of watts. Make sure the items plugged into the cord do not exceed this rating. Also, extension cords are meant to be a temporary solution for wiring - do not use them on a continual basis.

Flickering lights, outlets that work sporadically, circuit breakers that frequently trip, loose wall outlets, bulbs that blow out frequently—all of these are indications of minor electrical problems. If these problems are not monitored and rectified, they can lead to more serious electrical issues.

In addition to these visual signs, be alert for the smell of burning rubber or plastic, the feel of heat coming from electrical components, or the sound of sizzling or humming coming from electrical components. These are also indications that something is wrong with your electrical system.

Know the location of the fuse board and the main shut-off to the electrical system. Each circuit breaker or fuse should be clearly labelled. The main shut-off may be located outside at the meter. If something is amiss with the system, everything can be shut down here. Panels need to be accessible.

Carry out an annual visual electrical inspection of your property. When doing this, look out for broken light switches and sockets, signs of scorching around sockets which may indicate overloading, damaged electrical appliances and overheating of electrical equipment. 

Regularly inspect appliances, fittings, cords and sockets for damage. Check that the leads, plugs and the appliance itself are in good condition. 89% of electrical fires are caused by electrical products, 

Switch off appliances that are not being used.

Always use a registered electrician for electrical installations.

Get your electrical installations in your home checked every 10 years as recommended, this should also be done if you have purchased a new home, just because things look OK does not mean they are safe.

Electrical DIY - According to Electrical Safety First did you know that DIY errors cause half of all serious electrical shocks in the UK?

you cannot always rely on the electrical DIY information and advice you find online.so DONT DIE FOR DIY


Essential tips for any DIY

Find where the cables are in your walls. 

Turn off the power. 

Inspect your power tools and watch out for the trailing lead when using them. 

Speak to a registered electrician. The best way to avoid any electrical problems in the home is to seek the advice of a professional.

Did you know more than half of accidental house fires start in the kitchen - most of these are due to electrical incidents (usually misuse of cooking appliances).. so here are some tips to keep you safe:

Don't leave dishwashers or washing machines running unattended.

Check the leads and appliances, such as toasters and kettles, are in good condition.

Make sure you thoroughly clean your oven and grill.

Do not overload your kitchen sockets.

Defrost your fridge and freezer at least once a year to ensure they continue to function as they should.

Make sure your smoke alarm is working.

Bathrooms are possibly the most dangerous room in the house when it comes to electrical safety. Registered electricians are aware of the special requirements for electrical installations in bathrooms.. So here are some tips for a safe bathroom:- 

Sockets are not permitted in bathrooms and shower rooms.

Enclosed ceiling lights are preferable to those that hang down.

Central heating is the safest way to keep a bathroom warm.

An electric shower must have its own circuit direct from the fusebox.

Garden Safety

Although electricity makes gardening much easier, wet conditions and contact with the ground means that the risk of injury or death from electric shock is much greater than the risk from using electrical equipment indoors.

Ensure you have RCD fitted, and that it works!

Buy good quality electrical outdoor lighting equipment 

Ensure light fittings in water features are waterproof

Use a registered electrician

Keep equipment maintained 

Before changing any lamps, make sure you switch off the power supply.

Cut the grass, not the cable

Check the condition of extension leads.

Garden ponds and their pumps must be installed correctly, damage can result in injury, or death, to your fish or family.

and make sure you Never:-

 Use electrical equipment in the garden when it is raining.

Clean, adjust or check equipment while it is connected to the electricity supply.

Touch damaged equipment and cables before switching off the electricity supply.

Try to repair equipment yourself.

Wash equipment with water – unplug the equipment and clean it with a dry cloth.

Use electrical equipment while barefoot or wearing sandals.

Leave electrical equipment plugged in while you are not using it